Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Seven of Nine.. Days in London

(Props to you if you know the reference in the title.. I know my brother Ben does.)
It's almost seven and I am dead tired. I was going to see another show tonight but in the cheap seats but I decided not to. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.  I got a late start today because three of us were talking until 2 last night - going to an evening show throws everything off.  I wanted to sleep in but I will have tons of time to do that on my flights home.  I've already done most of what's on my list and wanted to get the last few bits taken care of. 
Today, I went to Tower Bridge. I did see it earlier in the trip, when I went to Tate Modern, but I wanted a closer look.
Then, I got lost in my way to Shakespeare's Globe, so that was tiring.  I finally found it and watched The Comedy of Errors. It was a really funny show, but I paid for the standing area. This was great because I was extremely close to the stage, and the ticket was only £5, about $8-9 (Les Mis was kinda expensive yesterday.)  My feet already hurt before the show began, so I could barely walk after it was over. 
Then, I went to check out Harrods, but I don't get what the fuss is about. Then, went to find out about the shows for tonight and ate dinner. Food here is expensive but I refuse to eat at restaurants they have in the US, like McDonalds or Burger King. 
I'm probably tired because I went up a ton of stairs today. The steep up escalator at Leicester Square wasn't working so people had to just walk it. I was super tired but felt bad for a lot of the old people who were struggling.  Also, the closest tube station to the hostel, Russell Square, is terrible because you can only get up and down with elevators. But there's almost always a hoard of people so they shove you on and out. Since there's only two elevators, you have to wait a while. There also stairs, but there's a sign warning you that there's 175 stairs and they should only be used as an emergency exit. I took the stairs down once and was scared I was going to fall. Today, I was too impatient to wait for the elevator, since I knew I'd probably have to wait for a couple before I could go in, so I took the stairs.. up. I heard, over the PA, that the 175 stairs was equivalent to 13 stories. I used to regularly do that many at work and promised myself a burger from GBK for doing it, so I went. When I was almost finished, I passed by a guy remarking to his friend that taking the stairs down was tough and couldn't help but comment that taking them up also wasn't easy, which made him laugh. (That or the exhausted look on my face.)
Mandatory pointing pic of the day
It's really hard to take a selfie there because the theatre is so tall and the stage is so wide. Plus everyone is standing so close to each other.
This reminds me of the Friends ep when Monica puts a turkey on her head.

No comments:

Post a Comment