Saturday, December 5, 2015

Norway or the Highway - Oslo, Day 2

This day was the most interesting one in Oslo, also the only full day there.  The most notable attractions in Oslo are the boat museums, so I had to go there.  First up was the Kon-Tiki museum.


It was pretty interesting to read all about the Kon-Tiki and Ra expeditions and see the rafts.  The documentary about the expedition won an Oscar in 1951, so that's notable!


That's Brice, my hostelmate who's from France.
Thatsa me! And the guy who spearheaded both expeditions.
I don't remember what this was. A little creepy, I know.


After this museum, we took in the scenery before exploring more museums.



Then we went to the Norsk Maritime Museum, which was not that interesting.  

Then we went to the Fram.  First, I wasn't interested in going because it was very unassuming from the outside.  But the sign touts that it's the best museum in Norway, so I thought that I might as well go, since admission is included in the Oslo Pass anyway.  I'm glad I did because it was a really cool museum. 

They had interactive features like seeing how much weight you could pull to illustrate what the people who were on the Fram had to endure. 

The boat took up 2-3 levels.  One level let you go on the boat.

Obligatory boat selfie

The closest Northern Lights encounter I had.  Every few minutes the lights on the inside of the tent would have the Northern Lights displayed.

Inside of the boat
It's like I'm an explorer too!
Another boat! But we couldn't go on this one.

Next was the Viking Ship Museum, which I'd heard a lot about.  I think it's the most popular museum in Oslo but I don't know why.  It's not that great, especially after going to the Fram.

People dressed in costume.  There's balconies for you to get an overhead view of the viking ships.



It was a short walk to the Norwegian Folk Museum, which is my favorite of all.  I wish I allowed more time because there was so much to see and we were in a hurry to see what we could before it closed.  It was primarily an open air museum with a lot of different buildings from different times.

I liked the random stripes on this building.

I made him climb this to see what's inside.  The answer?  Nothing.

This almost felt like the studio tour at Universal Studios Hollywood.
The bar!


There was also a barn with animals.
Apparently my last name is cattle in Norwegian.
A Ku and a ku!

There were some exhibitions too.  Since it's Norway, of course they have reindeer.

I took another nap at like.. 6pm.  But since it was my only full day in Oslo, I decided that we were going to go out instead of sleeping early.  We met some of Brice's friends and coworkers at a club/bar.  It was pretty cool.. there was a chandelier outside, but I didn't get a picture of it.  Also, before we went in, I saw a rat scurrying by.  That was new.  The band was awesome and we were right at the front of the stage, with a great view. 


I took a video because this song sounded like it was (Norwegian) country.



No comments:

Post a Comment