Friday, August 29, 2014

The Road (Trip) Less Taken - Part One.. Welcome to Ostrichland!

It's the beginning of Labor Day weekend and I'm prepping for London (T minus 27 days!) by taking a road trip to northern California.  I wasn't sure if I was actually going to go but I thought it was better than being lazy the whole long weekend.. although it must be said that The Simpsons marathon was a formidable temptation.  (Ironically enough, I just saw an episode where they went to London and there's also an ep where they went to Ostrichland.)

I drive a lot for work but have never covered this much ground before, so this trip is a good exercise in proving to myself that I can do it.  I started this trip really pumped and motivated but that lasted about.. half an hour.  Then I got sleepy, as I often do in the afternoon, and thought about taking a nap in a motel that rents rooms by the hour but decided against putting my face anywhere near that super yuck ambiance.  

I powered through and stopped at Ostrichland in Buellton (near Solvang) - thanks to my work bestie QP for that awesome suggestion.  I paid an extra dollar to feed the ostriches, which was slightly terrifying, since they all came and pecked at my bowl at the same time.  I would've taken a selfie of my experience feeding them, but the sign said I needed to hold the dustpan with two hands and I'm pretty sure I would've  dropped either my phone or the food. And you KNOW those ostriches would've pecked the life out of me if that happened. It was a fun experience, though.  Best $5 ever spent!





I look like I'm two seconds from getting my finger bitten.  Ostriches are surprisingly camera-shy. I tried to take a bunch of selfies and they bobbed their heads down.
See you next time, ostrich friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment