Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Road (Trip) Less Taken - Part 2.. Artichoke and Monopoly

Maybe I miss those ostriches because today was not as fun as yesterday.  My first stop of the day was the World's Largest Artichoke in Castroville.  Full disclosure - the only artichoke I ever eat is from spinach and artichoke dip, so I'm not an artichoke enthusiast.  It was pretty big but for some reason, I expected it to be larger than building size.  Fun fact, a CHP officer pulled in and smirked at me right when I was taking my selfies, so that was embarrassing.  Maybe I'll embrace and master the art of the selfie before London.


Next, I hit up Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz, where I faced a harrowing driving experience.  I pulled into the narrow dirt road entrance and was met with cars in front of me trying to reverse to make room for an RV going the opposite direction, attempting to exit.  It turns out that there was a line of cars entering and exiting and barely enough room on this path.  While I was still trying to make my way in, a friendly woman on her way out told me they were all sold out until 5pm.. so all that was for nothing.
After this, I went to my next destination, Swanton's Strawberry Farm in Davenport.  There wasn't much to see here and reminded me of the farm from Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so I didn't stay long. 

Monopoly in the Park in San Jose was the next destination, which was pretty cool to see.  There weren't any pieces out because I think they only have them when groups book to play the actual games.


The best selfie I've ever taken!


Finally, I made a long trek to Stockton to see one of my two favorite Wong twins.  It was a long drive and almost unbearably hot but my efforts were rewarded with BBQ from The Smoky Shack, where I enjoyed pulled pork, brisket, mac 'n cheese, and black beans.  I can't even name what Michael got - he got what's called "The TKO", so pretty much everything they serve was on his tray (except the salad that's not in the picture).

I think tomorrow's going to be the last day - I don't really want to spend my entire weekend driving and I'm still itchin' (and scratchin', har har) to watch The Simpsons marathon, as well as The Unauthorized Saved By The Bell Movie, the latter of which is almost certainly terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment