Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Beginning - Every day is a new chance to change your life.

Although I've only very casually blogged in the past, (my friend Kristin still mourns the loss of the Xanga account that recapped Andrew Firestone's season of The Bachelor) I decided that this is going to be a serious attempt to chronicle my future, nail-biting adventures (sarcasm with a hint of optimism).  It also has the added (nerdy) bonus of helping me sharpen my writing skills, which I don't have much opportunity to do now that I'm finished with grad school.  This first paragraph wasn't incredibly compelling, but I guess that leaves me with plenty of room for improvement.

What Had Happened (grammar intentional)
Without getting into specific details, the last few months have been much tougher than I have experienced in some time.  I consider myself a generally happy person - I have to admit my life is wonderful - but I've recently been consumed with anxiety, sadness, and worry, among other unsavory emotions.  While pointing fingers and assigning blame is the easy way out, the truth is that each person is responsible for managing his own expectations, actions, and emotions.  In this same vein, when you give someone the power to wholly control your happiness, you run the risk of becoming a prisoner to your sadness.  (Was that prophetic or grammatically incorrect or both?)  Philosophical mumbo jumbo aside, I realized that I lost myself, which is the loneliest feeling to have.  But I pride myself in being a doer so I decided to regain control of my life by making a change.


I actually have this hanging in my apartment.


What Will Happen
I decided to take a solo trip to London! (I got tired from writing the last paragraph so I decided to skip the buildup on this one.)  I realized that there's no better way for me to gain clarity than independently exploring another part of the world.  Plus, doing something I never thought I could has the added benefit of being an empowering feat.  

I've always wanted to go to England but hadn't been able to find any interested travel companions.  But I decided that, like being accountable for my own happiness, I need to take charge of creating positive experiences for myself.

After googling solo traveling, I'm already planning future excursions.  I like doing what I want, when I want, paying how much I want and staying however long I want.  

According to my Final Countdown app, there's 40 days until I leave for London.  Actually, I'll be leaving for Moscow first and then leaving for London, so if you don't hear from me, please check those Russian mail order bride websites.


1 comment:

  1. Love it! (When did you decide to go to London? ) I would like to put in a request for Once Upon a Time to be added to this year's view - and - review list, please. Thnx!

    ReplyDelete