Sunday, March 19, 2017

Rey(kjavik) to Go - Iceland, Day 2

Here's the gist of this blog entry: I went to a lot of museums and here's what I saw.

The day after the wind storm, the weather was great.  Little did I know that this was the most walkable day of my time in Iceland.



When I'm asked what I like to do when traveling, I'm not always sure what to answer, since I'm not a beach person, I'm also not very outdoorsy, and I like cheap food with cheese but am not a foodie.  I realized that I love weird things - that's my favorite.  So I was really excited when I heard that Reykjavik has a penis museum, because that's definitely weird.



To be honest, it's probably the thing I was most excited about seeing in Iceland.  I was warned that it was small, to which my hostelmate quipped, "And no one likes a small.. museum."  It wasn't particularly thrilling - it was various animal parts and memorabilia, like artwork and novelties.

I think this is from a whale.



This shot is blurry because someone was coming behind me and I was embarrassed.

There was also a section of fictional penises.  This is a merman's penis.  The display with an elf penis was empty.



After that was Culture House.  It was standard museum fare, but two pieces stuck out to me for their absurdity.

Sometimes I feel like this.
And this.
After this was the Reykjavik Art Museum, which was much more interesting, since it was modern art.  Some of the stuff was pretty weird but I love that.

I need something like this in my room.  Except that pie needs to be mac 'n cheese.
Or this.  Glorious cheese and food everywhere!











This one was super strange.  A video of women getting covered in frosting and the end result.





It wasn't clear what this was.



After this was the Settlement Museum, which was pretty neat.  In 2001, there were archaeological remains found, so the museum was built around the ruins, which was dedicated to explaining what the original settlement would have looked like.

I didn't get pictures of the main museum, so here's a couple I pulled online.

Image result for settlement museum iceland

Image result for settlement museum iceland

Since I mostly like fun things, I did take pictures of the kids corner.  I may or may not have put on the helmet and started flinging around the weapon.



After this, I went to the National Museum, but they don't let you take pictures anywhere in there.  It was interesting because it talked about the role of religion and vikings and how it influenced Iceland.  On the way back, I passed by the lake.





Made my way back to the hostel as another storm was starting to head in.



I woke up in the middle of the night during the storm.  The sky was so pretty, it was so orange and I had to take pictures.  You can't really see the sky in these pictures, though.  But as someone who doesn't see snow that often, it felt magical to see a ton of snowball in the middle of the night when everyone else was sleeping.




No comments:

Post a Comment