Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Glasgow-ing Away From Here (Part 5 of 7)


This post will probably be the shortest because I really didn't like Glasgow.  I was only set to stay there about a day, with an evening flight to Dublin (then a late drive to Belfast), and it was still too long.  I paid extra to change my flight so I could leave Glasgow earlier.  Back to Glasgow.. here's a couple photos from the train ride.



Glasgow is definitely more modern than Edinburgh, but it reminded me of LA, but more boring.  The main shopping area reminded me of a gritty Third Street Promenade,  

I thought this looked interesting.


A lot of the city is in ruins, which can be seen in this picture taken from my hostel window.


The whole city is kind of a bummer, so it wasn't surprising when I heard of the "Glasgow Effect", an explained phenomenon where people in Glasgow have lower life expectancy rates and poor health compared to the rest of the United Kingdom.

There wasn't much to do the next day.  I saw a neat bridge and went to the Gallery of Modern Art.  I usually like modern art museums, but this one was so sparse and the exhibitions were so boring.  I was going to take a hop on, hop off bus, but there were issues with finding it, and I wasn't incredibly compelled to spend a long time searching.



Bye, Glasgow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment